Vegan eats plants including vegetables, fruits, pulses, legumes and dry fruits. Accidentally vegan food does not contain any meat, eggs or dairy products. It was not specifically produced for vegan markets but happens to be vegan.
A vegan does not eat animals and animal products including milk, honey, cheese and eggs.
Vegetarian diet is related to many advantages in the form of low calories & healthy packed nutritious content.
It includes potassium, magnesium, folic acid, vitamins (C and E) minerals, dietary fiber, fats and many unsaturated phytochemicals.
Vegans faced limited bioavailability of zinc and iron. Micronutrients include vitamin D and B-12, calcium and omega 3 fatty acids.
They need to consume foods fortified with iron in the form of grains.
Recently it is reported that plant based diet (intake of fruits and vegetables) is helpful in reducing the risk of cancer (colorectal) diabetes, and cardio vascular disease (CVD).
There are many food items which are accidentally vegan and are easily available in European countries like cereals, biscuits, pasta bread and some candies.
What is Accidentally Vegan Food?
Food products made up of plants are considered as ‘accidentally vegan’ these foods are devoid of any animal meat (red or white), eggs, milk and honey.
Vegan foods include; accidentally vegan cookies and biscuits, vegan chips, vegan candies and chocolate, vegan cereals, vegan cake mix and vegan fast food. A label on food products guides the vegans to pick their choice of munching food items.
Accidentally Vegan Biscuits
Many accidentally vegan biscuits, sandwich biscuits, and cookies can be surprisingly found in local grocery markets and are very delicious in taste.
They don’t include animal products and are packed with vegan protein.
Some of the brands are shown in the vegan-friendly list of biscuits;
- Planet Organic Triple Chocolate Protein Cookie (made from pea protein, almonds, chia seeds, brown rice protein and more)
- Crawford’s Pink Wafers
- Doves Farm Lemon Zest Cookies
- Fox’s Ginger Crinkle crunch biscuits, Fox’s Dark Chocolate Chunkie cookies, Fox’s Party rings
- Asda free from custard creams
- Lotus original caramel biscuits
- Lovemore Jammy Wheels
- Veganz Double sandwich biscuits
- Veganz Lemon Cake style Double biscuits
- Bourbon biscuits
- Ms Molly’s, Doves Farm Digestive biscuits
- Lotus Biscoff biscuits
- Nairn’s Oatcakes and Oat biscuits
- Nairn’s Stem Ginger Oat biscuits
- McVities Hobnobs Choc chip
- Mr Kipling Blackcurrant and Apple pies and jam tarts
- Ritz Crackers, Belvita crunchy breakfast biscuits, Tesco Oaty Rounds
- Kookie Cat Salted Caramel Almond Cookie, Cat Vanilla and Choco Drops Cookie
- Super Pretzel Original, Smucker’s uncrustables (peanut butter & grape jelly sandwich)
- Wheatable Biscuits by Peak Freens, Wheat Thins by Nabisco
- Chocolate chip cookies by Le Moulin Du Pivet
- Club Crackers by Keebler, Nabisco Triscuit
- Biona Organic Chocolate Chip and Orange Cookies
- Nutter Butter, Ginger Nut, Rich tea biscuits
- Pillsbury Crescent rolls
- Girls Scout Thin Mint Cookies
- Nature Valley crunchy granola bars.
- Accidentally vegan chips
Snacks in the form of chips, fries onion rings fried in plant seeds oil (not in palm oil) are accidentally vegan foods.
Super branded picks on Vegans
They include following items from supermarkets and even in fast-food restaurants. Some of the best-branded picks are listed below;
- Starbucks BBQ Vegan Wrap with jackfruit and slaw
- Doritos Sweet Chilli, BBQ and Lightly Salted flavors
- McDonald’s fries, Burger King fries
- Skips, Lays (original Salted flavor)
- Walkers Crisps comprising Baked Ready salted, pickled onion, French Fries Ready Salted, Squares Salt and Vinegar, Worcester sauce flavor.
- Crinkles simply sea salted, Chipsticks salt ‘n’ Vinegar flavor, Caramalised Onion Sunbites Sweet chili, Sunbites original and Brown Sauce.
- Pringles are vegan friendly Original, Texas BBQ sauce, Sweet Chili, Smokey Bacon and Paprika flavor, Cracker Jack (Popcorn) is perfectly vegan friendly, Frito (corn chips)
- Sun Chips (original whole grain), Stacy’s pita chips, Hula Hoops
- Ore-lda Golden Crinkles (French fried potatoes) Simply Potatoes (Red potato wedges)
- Kettle Chips including Lightly Salted, Sea salt, Balsamic Vinegar and Black Peppercorn
- Potato Waffles are environment and vegan friendly.
- Accidentally vegan sweets and chocolate
There are lots of candies and chocolates which are accidentally vegan. They can be found in hyper markets and metro stores. Natural flavorings are quite healthy and mostly are gluten free.
Many naturally vegan dark chocolates are produced by using soy and lecithin. They are packed with healthy antioxidants flavonoids and are 100% animal free. Good quality dark chocolate consists of 100% cocoa solids and is surprisingly vegan friendly.
Specialist vegan Chocolate
Specialist vegan Chocolate uses milk substitutes based on plant products. Many chocolate brands and sweets are enlisted vegan can eat;
- Jelly tots, Tesco Jelly Beans, Candy Kittens, Trebor soft Mints, Flying saucer,
- Cola Bottles, Love Hearts, Tangy Worms by Jealous Sweets, Turkish delight,
- Henry Goode’s Liquorice, Parma Violets by Swizzels, Sherbet Fountains, Asda/Sainsbury’s Lemon Sherbets, Sherbet Dip Dab (sugar Lolly)
- Starburst, (chewy sweets) Skittles, Fox’s Glacier Mints
- Refreshers Chew Bar (vegan sweets from Swizzels) Kuhbonbon Vegan Caramels
- Freedom Confectionary Marshmallows, Fry’s chocolate cream,
- Lindt Excellence Dark Chocolate Bars, Green & Blacks varieties, Cadbury Bournville Plain Chocolate,
- Tesco Dark Chocolate Mint Thins, Elizabeth Shaw Mint Crisp Dark Chocolates
- Chocolate spreads of Nutella, Montezuma Chocolate (orange flavor)
- Moo free; they use rice milk to supplement the chocolate
- Swedish fish (soft and chewy candy), Hotel Chocolate, Fruit by the Foot,
- Brach’s (Mandarin orange slices) Minute Maid soft Frozen Lemonade (Strawberry and Lemon flavors)
- Haribo Rainbow Gummi candy, Mackintosh sweets, Dots (assorted fruit flavored gumdrops) Betty Crocker Fruit Rollups, Twizzlers (low fat Licorice bar),
- Fun dip and Ghost dip are fruit flavored
- Sour Patch Kids
Vegans are thinner and usually enjoy lower risk of serum cholesterol, Type-2 Diabetes and Cardio Vascular Disease.
A vegan study usually includes small number of subjects. Their health status is good as compared to non-vegetarians.
This is a cautionary conclusion which warns all vegans to check food labels carefully as in many cases it is difficult to find vegan based items in grocery markets. Vegan food labels are shown in green dot on all its products.
Q. Why are avocados not vegan?
Avocados are not vegan because of involvement of honey bee pollination in its large scale cultivation. PETA has a strong stance against honey bee. They considered these insects as factory farmed animals like cow, chicken.
People following veganism usually avoid avocados for ethical reasons. Definition given by Vegan society, “Veganism does not accept all those food items which are exploited to cruelty of animals” But Avocados are considered vegan friendly if they are pollinated by wild populations of bees.
Q. Are McDonald’s fry’s vegan?
McDonald’s in whole world gave different food standards especially in terms of chips. Fries in U.S. McDonald’s are not vegan as they are dipped in beef flavored.
French fry suppliers add a small quantity of beef flavored to the oil in the pan during half frying process before shipping it to outlets, at the restaurant they are fried to full and becomes non vegan. In Asia they are vegan. It is meat free. They are 100 percent made from farm fresh potatoes.
Q. Why is broccoli not vegan?
Just like avocados, almonds and figs broccoli is not vegan because of its cultivation by migratory bee. Broccoli is calcium rich vegetable. Commercial farming of these vegetables often includes bees. Bee hives at the back of truck migrate from one farm to other farm. Vegans don’t eat animal products so ethically they don’t eat broccoli.
Q. Do vegans age badly?
No. vegans age slower and it depends on their dietary intake. According to research if you are eating nuts, legumes, seeds, fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants then your skin will be wrinkle free.
Vivid colors in fruits and vegetables like cherries, pomegranates, citrus fruits, prunes apples, spinach, cauliflower, berries and even green tea are good source of antioxidants and raise the carotenoids level in skin and slows the Aging process.
Olive oil is also associated with decreasing wrinkles. Quick Aging is related to consuming refined sugar and meat products due to this vegan live longer as their diet is free of animal products.
Q. Are vegans more attractive?
Yes. Eating vegan food increases blood circulation. Vegan eaters have brighter eyes, thicker hair, clearer skin, sharp features, lower fat levels, fast metabolic rate and less puffiness in body. Mental and physical health of vegans is attractive according to research.
Scientifically it is proved that they are more compassionate about their goals, they stand for their cause, Vegans have the power to control their habits and are self-disciplinary also they care about their health and protect themselves from diseases so they are more active in nature as compared to meat eaters.